Scope & Purpose
The purpose of this policy is to set how we use personal information we may obtain about you through this website (www.ercol.com), through the post, by phone and visiting our showroom at our registered office address stated below. If you place an order with ercol you will be issued with a separate privacy notice.
ercol takes its responsibilities regarding the security of personal information very seriously and is committed to protecting your safety and privacy. We will only use information that we collect about you lawfully in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Any references in this policy to “ercol”, “we”, “our” or “us” mean Ercol Furniture Limited, a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 000163292 and registered office address of Summerleys Road, Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire, HP27 9PX. We control the ways your personal data are collected and the purposes for which your personal data are used by ercol and are the data controller as defined under the GDPR.
Personal Data Collected
The means by which we collect personal information on the website are Product Registration, Swatch Requests, Catalogue Requests and Cookies.
Types of Data Collected:
We may collect and process the following categories of information about you:
- Name (Title, Forename and Surname);
- Postal address
- E-mail address
- Telephone number
- Product registration details – products purchased and where purchased
- Feedback on product
- Fabric swatches and wood samples requested
- Catalogue(s) requested
- Feedback on where you have heard about us
- IP address
- CCTV Video and Images – applicable only to our showroom visitors
Special Categories of Data
We will not ordinarily collect data that are classified as Special Categories of Data under the GDPR. Such data is personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, and the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying an individual, data concerning health or data concerning an individual's sex life or sexual orientation.
We will never collect information meeting this criteria without your explicit informed consent.
How and why your data is used
The personal data we collect will be used for the following purposes:
Support for products registered - We use your information to support you in your use of products that you have registered with us. This includes the use of personal information to discuss and resolve product problems, give advice on product care and provide other support related services.
Provision of fabric swatches, wood samples and catalogues – We use your information in order to send you fabric swatches and/or catalogues that you have requested by completion of our online form.
Marketing and improving and personalising our products and services – We use your information for assessment and analysis (e.g. market, customer and product analysis) to enable us to review, develop and improve the services we offer and to enable us to provide you and other customers with relevant information through our marketing programme. We may use your information to make decisions about you using computerised technology, for example, automatically selecting products or services that we think will interest you from the information we have. We may inform you (by email, post or otherwise) about products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. If you do not wish ercol to use your information for marketing purposes, please tick the “No thank you” option provided when registering product, requesting catalogues or requesting swatches.
Pass your details to carefully selected third parties, including ercol stockists – We occasionally make names and addresses available to businesses whose products we think may interest you if you tick the “Yes please” option provided when registering product, requesting catalogues or requesting swatches.
To administer any prize draw or competitions you may enter – We may use your information in order to administer prize draws or competitions we run including the notification of the outcome of the prize draw or competition and the awarding of any prize.
To comply with our legal obligations – for example, for the prevention and detection of fraud.
To ensure appropriate security is in place – Our use of CCTV on our premises is to provide additional security measures to protect our company and its visitors.
We may give information about you to the following, who may use it for the same purposes as set out above:
- To employees and agents of ercol to administer any accounts, products and services provided to you by ercol now or in the future.
- Other companies within our group of companies who share common systems and databases. Other group companies are Ercol (Holdings) Limited (incorporated in England and Wales) and Ercol USA Inc (incorporated in the USA).
- Agents who profile your data so that we can tailor the goods/services we offer to your specific needs.
We may also disclose your information:
- To anyone to whom we transfer or may transfer our rights and duties under our agreement with you.
- If we have a duty to do so or if the law allows us to do so.
Lawful basis for data processing
We only collect and process your personal data when there is a lawful basis to do so. The lawful basis we rely on in this respect includes:
Consent – where you gave us explicit consent. For example ticking “Yes Please” to being sent information on products and promotions and to having your details passed to carefully selected third parties to make you aware of other products and services.
Legitimate interest - a legitimate commercial interest to process certain aspects of your personal data, e.g. for running our business and the purposes of certain forms of direct marketing and profiling.
Legal obligation – processing necessary in order to satisfy our legal obligations for example passing on details to law enforcement in the event of fraud or other criminal activity affecting ercol.
We know that security of your personal data is important. We look to treat your data with care and take appropriate steps to protect it.
Our website has an SSL certificate and access to the data collected and stored through the website is protected by a restriction on the number of users and requires password access.
Your Rights - Access to and Update of your data, withdrawal of consent and complaints
At any point while we are in possession of or processing your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
- Right to judicial review: in the event that ercol refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. You have the right to complain as outlined below.
Access and update of your data
In order to request a copy of the personal data that ercol holds about you, please e-mail email@example.com with the subject title “Data Subject Access Request,” including all of the following information:
- Your full name;
- Your address;
- Clear description of the data you are requesting;
- Proof of address (Bank statement, Credit Card Bill, Utility Bill, Driving Licence)
To update the information we hold on you by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Update of Personal Details” and confirming what details required updating.
Withdrawal of Consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent. In order to withdraw consent, for example for the purposes of marketing, please e-mail email@example.com with the subject title “Unsubscribe” and in the body of the-mail confirm your details so that we can identify you.
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by ercol or how your complaint has been handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
If you wish to lodge a complaint direct to ercol please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or write a letter addressed to Data Protection, Ercol Furniture Limited, Summerleys Road, Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire, HP27 9PX.
We reserve the right to make changes to this privacy notice at any time. This may be necessary, for example, if the law changes or our business changes in a way that affects protection of personal data.
Any changes will be made available on our website www.ercol.com on this page.